3 C fresh okra, tops cut off, sliced in half vertically
1 C fresh corn kernels
1 C chopped tomato, seeds removed
For the Yogurt Sauce
1/2 C plain whole milk yogurt
fresh juice of 1/2 lemon
kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the Harissa Vinaigrette
4 T harissa (homemade or store bought)
2 T olive oil
2 T white wine vinegar
- Make the harissa vinaigrette by whisking together the harissa, olive oil and vinegar. Set aside.
- Make the yogurt sauce by combining yogurt and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat until oil is almost smoking. Add okra and allow to cook for a few moments without stirring. Toss the okra in the pan a few times. When the okra begins to brown, add the corn. Cook just a few moments to warm the corn. Place in a bowl, add tomato and toss. Season with salt.
- To serve, place okra mixture on a platter. Liberally cover with yogurt sauce and harissa vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
- Optional garnishes: toasted pecans, sliced red onion, cilantro /parsley/ fresh herbs
To make your own Harissa (also available in store bought)
1/4 pound dried hot red chili peppers (stems and seeds removed) (we prefer Mexican ancho chilies)
8 cloves garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons ground caraway
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoons salt
- soak the chili peppers in warm water for 30 min, until soft
- drain the chilis
- place chilies, garlic, spices and salt in a food processor and process, adding oil slowly to make a soft paste
- press into a jar and cover with oil
- Keep refrigerated
Makes 1.5-2 cups