Whole Wheat Shells Costa’s Pasta
Tomato Base Pasta Sauce
5‐6 lbs of tomatoes
4 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
¾ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups okra, chopped
- Put whole tomatoes into large crockpot, cut off rotten parts. Simmer for 12 hours on high heat, stirring regularly.
- Puree all tomatoes using hand blender until smooth. You can pull out large tomato skin pieces if desired.
- Add in all spices, garlic, and okra. Simmer on low for another 1‐2 hours, uncover for this period to get the sauce thicker. If the sauce is desired thickness cover.
- Puree again until okra is fully broken down and sauce is smooth.
- Store in freezer or frig. ‐reheat and add veggies for pasta night!
Hidden Veggies Sauce Addition
olive oil to coat bottom of pan
½ whole red or sweet onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic
1 medium eggplant or 2 long skinny (Asian) shredded
1 sprig of rosemary
1 tbsp oregano, chopped
1 large yellow squash/zucchini, shredded, skin peeled
- Coat bottom of sauté pan in olive oil, heat on medium, add diced onions. Cook onions until soft about 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic, cook for another 3 min
- Add shredded eggplant, rosemary, oregano, sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 min until eggplant is soft.
- Add shredded squash and cook for 5 minutes more. All the veggies should be soft and aromatic.
- Add as much tomato sauce as desirable. For kids I recommend a 3:1 ratio of tomato base to veggies.