For the Caramelized Onion Butter
1 lb Spring Onion Bulbs (julienne)
2 Tbs Salt
2 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbs Olive Oil
4 oz Butter
½ tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Sprinkle the onions with salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain off excess liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and add onions. Stir onions frequently until they have developed a good deal of dark caramelization. Add apple cider vinegar and continue to cook until the liquid is fully reduced and the entire mixture is a dark brown color.
- Remove from heat and place caramelized onions into a blender cup. Turn on blender and add butter while it’s running to form a smooth paste.
- Fold in thyme leaves and season with salt if needed.
For the Tartine
2 oz Baby Arugula
4 oz Feta Cheese (crumbled)
4 ea Dried Sweet Peppers (pulverized in a spice grinder)
1 Tbs Olive Oil
Juice of one lemon
4 thick slices Sourdough bread (brushed with butter and toasted)
- Combine the arugula, feta, pepper powder, olive oil and lemon in a bowl and toss well.
- Spread a thick layer of the Onion Butter on each piece of toast and top with arugula salad.