1 lb. fresh pork sausage
3 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
add 1 egg and mix well
Add 1 tsp. baking soda to
1 c. coffee
Add to pork mixture
Add in 1 c. raisins
1 c. chopped pecans
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 or 10-inch tube pan and line the bottom and sides with waxed or parchment paper. Mix all above ingredients well.
- Place mixture into lined tube pan and bake in preheated 350 degree oven 1 hour or until wood pick placed into cake come out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- unmold from tube pan.
- Spread top and sides with Fairywood Thickicket's Apple Pepper Jelly.
- Slice and serve on Cathead Biscuits
Sweet Auburn Bread Company's Cat Head Biscuits
Yields 6 biscuits
2 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Cup of Buttermilk
4 1/2 Tablespoons Shortening
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the flour, salt, soda, and baking powder together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening , then mix it into the dry mixture with a pastry cutter . The finished mixture should have the consistency of course-ground cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add all of the milk. Using a spoon, stir the mixture until the milk is incorporated into the dry mix and there are no large areas of powdery flour remaining. Using your hands, leave the dough in the bowl and carefully knead it a couple of times.
- To make "cat head" biscuits, pinch off a ball of dough about 2 1/2 inches and pat it slightly rounded. Put the shaped biscuits onto a baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits are a light golden brown.