2 Lb Local heirloom tomatoes (cut in random bite sized pieces)
8 oz Fresh Goat Cheese
1/2 cup EVOO
2 each fresh garlic cloves
2 Tbs. herbs (Thai basil or basil) lightly torn or picked
1 Loaf Levain style rustic bread
Grey Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- For the rustic toast, pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees. Slice bread into two-bite sizes. Drizzle the bread slices with some of the olive oil and a little grey salt. Bake on a sheet tray until almost burned on the outsides yet lightly toasted in the middle.
- Once baked, lightly rub a clove of garlic onto each slice to impart its oil onto the toast.
- Prepare a home smoker as shown. Cold smoke the cheese for 10-20 minutes (to taste).
- Mix cheese with a spatula to distribute the smoke flavor throughout.
- While the cheese is smoking, cut the tomatoes into random bite sized pieces. Toss with half of the extra virgin olive oil, the fresh herbs, and grey salt (or kosher salt) and freshly cracked black pepper. Let sit at room temperature.
- Spread the smoked goat cheese onto the toast and top with the room temperature tomatoes