1 ½ to 2 lbs assorted local tomatoes
1/3 lb local arugula
6 ounces good smoked bacon (cut into small cubes)
1 each shallot
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 each organic lemon (zests and juice of)
2 Tbs. sherry wine vinegar
2 Tbs. EVOO
Reserved fat from bacon
4 ounces nice blue cheese (large crumbles)
Kosher or grey salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- For the dressing: Crisp the bacon cubes and set aside on towels for later. Reserve the fat to finish the dressing.
- Using an appropriate sized mixing bowl, whisk together the shallot, Dijon, lemon chopped zests and juice, and vinegar. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Just before serving, while whisking, drizzle in the bacon fat (make sure it is slightly warm and not solid).
- Fold in the blue cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice, ¼, ½, wedge, or however you want to cut the tomatoes. Place an assortment on each plate and season with grey salt and freshly cracked pepper. Top with the bacon and some of the dressing. Toss the arugula with the reserved dressing to taste, season with salt and cracked pepper and top tomatoes.