3 lbs squash
One head fennel
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
Salt and pepper
Olive oil or butter for cooking
1/4 lb or more chèvre left at room temp
1 small bunch scallions chopped
Handful of fresh herbs chopped (basil/mint/parsley/chives a mix of whatever is in the garden, this is also a great place to use edible flowers for some extra wow)
- Grate the squash and fennel on the large cut of a box grater into a mixing bowl. Add a tablespoon of salt and let sit for 30 minutes. This will allow the water to come out of squash. Wring out the squash and fennel with a kitchen towel to get rid of excess water.
- Mix in eggs, flour, chopped scallions and desired amount of pepper.
- Heat oil or butter in cast iron pan till the oil is hot and starting to bubble.
- Use a large spoon to drop in batter to pan. Flatten the pancake to a desired size. I like them about 3 inches in diameter. Flip when they are golden brown, about 2 minute per side.
- I like to whip the chèvre though it also works great when you soften it by bringing to room temperature. Top the pancakes with the chèvre and chopped herbs. Ready to enjoy!