For the Bacon and Spinach Hush Puppies:
1 T Green Garlic, chopped
½ cup Spinach, Fine Chopped
1 cup Cornmeal
1 cup All Purpose Flour
¾ T Baking Powder
1 tsp. Sugar
1T Salt and pepper
¾ cup Bacon ends, Chopped & Rendered
1 each Eggs, Whole
1 cup Whole Milk
2 oz Buttermilk
2 T Bacon fat (rendered from bacon ends)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Whisk all the wet ingredients and combine with the dry.
- If using a deep fryer: using a measuring scoop or a spoon gently lower batter into a deep fryer at 320° F.
- If using a deep-bottomed cast iron skillet or dutch oven: fill vessel with at least 2 inches of oil and heat to 320° F. Using a measuring scoop or spoon gently lower batter into oil. Turn hush puppies over once when golden brown on the bottom.
- Serve immediately.
Radish and Beet Slaw
3-4 each Beets
1 each Carrot
1 each Green Garlic
5 each Radishes
1 T Lemon juice
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. Doux South Mustard
3-4 sprigs Dill, about 1 T minced
- Thinly slice the beets, radishes, and green garlic.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, mustard and dill.
- Toss the dressing and the vegetable mix.
Note: This salad could also be plated first with the dressing drizzled over the top to keep the colors separate.